Saturday, July 30, 2011

Traveling Light

Three cities. Two countries. Fourteen days. No checked baggage.
This is how I travel to Europe with only one small bag.

First - understand the most important items require to travel are just passport, mobile phone and wallet with credit card and money. They are the first priority and should not be left behind. Flight ticket? E-ticket or booking confirmation SMS will do.

Second - don’t carry those that will be provided by the hotel. Towel and toiletries. Or kimono from hotel. Or probably items than can be bought at destination country. Like perfume in destination airport’s duty free.

Third - cut the clothes. One pair of multipurpose shoes is more than enough. One short to sleep and to go sight seeing during sunny day. Learn how to wash in the bathtub. I carry only 5 shirts (and a jeans) for 2 weeks. I will still only carry 5 shirts even for 3 weeks. Why? Because with 5 I can wear different shirt during each working day in a week. Then repeat the sequence on the second week. And when the customer I work with starts to realize the pattern on the third week, it would be the right time to go back home.

So in my small bag other than clothes I still can fit my Leica camera, my Dr. Dre’s headphone, two Macbook Air, Linksys AP (to share the hotel Internet connection), Ruby books, my notebook and all the chargers.

And yes, ditch the Macbook Pro and get the Macbook Air instead. My two MBAs are still weighted much less than one MBP.

4 comments:

Fandi said...

I cant help but curious, why do you need 2 macbook air?

Himawan Nugroho said...

Hi Fandi, at that time I had to work on two different things concurrently so I needed to bring both, but usually I travel with only 1 MBA (and it makes more sense to make the one left at home as backup just in case something happens during my trip)

Stephina Suzzane said...

Sometimes I feel like I don't belong anywhere, & it's gonna take so long for me to get to somewhere, Sometimes I feel so heavy hearted, but I can't explain cuz I'm so guarded. But that's a lonely road to travel, and a heavy load to bear. And it's a long, long way to heaven but I gotta get there
Can you send an angel?
Can you send me an angel...to guide me.

Cheap flights to Lusaka said...

We are traveling down a path with no happy ending, and it's too late to turn around.