Friday, November 05, 2010

How was life before GNS3?

I'm sick of people keep complaining about the new IOS XR in CCIE SP track. Listen, IOS XR in CCIE lab is good. It's closer to the decent real SP network. Do you want to pass CCIE SP lab, and call yourself the 'expert' for SP technologies, with an exam that has only 7200 as the top model for P and PE routers?

People asked me, how can I practice because GNS3 doesn't support IOS XR? First, GNS3 is just the front end graphical interface for the actual emulator dynamips. I hope this is not the first time you heard about this statement :) Many time I said, yes GNS3 or dynamips is good because we don't need the real router to practice. But remember, it's emulator not the real router and just like any software the emulator may have bugs as well. So when you face issue with your simulated network, you need to be able to identify if the problem comes from your config, from the IOS or from the emulator. If you can't accept this fact, stop using it. Stop your CCIE study and do something else. As CCIE candidates having a right attitude is required, including trying to find information like this.

Then you should know that you can't take this emulator for granted. Cisco never endorses the usage of emulator (and illegal IOS) to study. Chris made dynamips as his personal project, and if you can't contribute to it please stop complaining about why it doesn't support IOS XR (those who understand IOS XR architecture probably understand the challenges to emulate the box).

Let me ask you question: how was life before GNS3?

Some of CCIE candidates today know only how to download the GNS3 package, that has already included the dynamips, and install it in their PC. They practice hard like hell with it and pass CCIE lab without ever see the real router. Sometime they don't even have experience. If you need CCIE engineer for your company, would you hire the one that has never seen the real router nor the experience?

I passed two CCIEs without using GNS3 or emulator. If you want to know how, please listen to my story in WebEx recording.

If you can pass CCIE by relying only on emulator, good for you. But please don't take it for granted. Once you pass try to get real experience. If you want to take CCIE SP 3.0, study IOS XR from beginning starting with CCNA SP and CCNP SP (coming soon). Join a company that gives you experience with either CRS or GSR XR or ASR9K. Try to rent an XR rack. Form a study group then collect the money from all the members to buy one GSR XR. Ask your company to buy XR box with special rate for training purpose. Take loan from the bank to get the smallest ASR. I don't care. My point here is there is always a way and that's why CCIE is special. It distinguishes the real CCIE candidates and those who just want to pass to have the certificate so they can start getting more money. Money will come eventually, but please do it right so when you really pass CCIE SP 3.0 lab someday you can say 'yes, I'm a real CCIE'.

Again, many CCIEs before you didn't use emulator at all.
Think about it.

18 comments:

pandi said...

experience is the real master ^^V

Tanvir said...

Good logical answers.......

Joe said...

Bravo, another great post.

Anonymous said...

What's happend to CRS3 ?

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/111510-juniper-cisco.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_network_architecture_2010-11-16

Anonymous said...

Hi Himawan,
Thank you for the blogs - I enjoy them greatly. I am curious to know about the architecture of the various platforms. What is a good source of information that you would recommend? I do not work for Cisco or a partner hence my access on CCO is limited.

Thanks in advance,
James.

Marco said...

LOL, XR is full of bugs and it seems to be in beta testing(we are running 3.8.1 and 3.9). I think it won't run at all in an emulated system.

Thank you Cisco for let me work so hard with TAC. But if you do too bad, I think we have to migrate to Juniper.

Maher said...

I totally agree with you Himawan, the CCIE candidates are nagging like babies... Which really not understandable, what they want... to simplify the CCIE tracks to let anyone in the earth pass it and get a high salary!!!
CCIE candidates, be smart and think... if you are not able to pass it so you are not deserving it!!! you should say:
Please Cisco make it harder and harder...

Anonymous said...

the most CHOOTIA blog I ever red

Anonymous said...

Agree with everything ....

Will you write the same thing if this is your first ccie and your company is setting a target to get your ccie ?

Himawan Nugroho said...

Hi Anonymous,
let me answer your question with my own experience when I tried to pass my first CCIE 10 years ago: I started my career with 250 USD monthly salary so even at that time it's possible to practice with 2600 router it's still too expensive for me to get the lab, or even one router, in fact 50 USD Ciscopress book was luxury item at that time. And yes, the company told me to pass in two attempts or "else". And they didn't provide the lab nor the books. I had to improvise by abusing the copy machine or bought pirated copy of the books (I'm not proud of it, but it was necessary), I had to "borrow" my customer's router, processed RMA etc. I won't go to detail but my message is: use your energy to find the solution, instead of whining about your limitation. Sorry if this post is too straight forward, but I think it's necessary too :) If this is your first CCIE you may want to consider the following: take R&S, since you can use virtual environment like dynamips to practice, then once you pass R&S move to company that can give you better pay and environment, and take the track you really like such as SP or Voice or the other

Anonymous said...

agreed.. when I read your blog i found it ... yeah ... too straight forward as you said.. but i guess, I got your point.

:) appreciate responding to an "anonymous"

Value your experience by all means .. thank you!

Anonymous said...

*FACE FALM*

It's not an emulator; it's a virtual machine and that IS the same as the "real thing". IOS can run on junk physical hardware as well in a solid virtual environment. This is the basis for the success of VMWare, Hyper-T, and Azure. Are these not REAL systems? Are you saying you don't get experience with Windows via a VM?

Are you retarded?

Himawan Nugroho said...

Hi last anonymous,
no, it's not the same thing. But since from the way you communicate I can sense lack of intelligence so I won't waste my time to explain. Any further comments using aggressive words like this will be deleted from my blog. If you are wondering why, don't bother and just do whatever you want in some other places

Anonymous said...

Nice article. However, CCIE before GNS3 was also by far simpler.

scnscss said...

You are right men

blakers said...

If cisco doesn't create an image for network engineers to practice than I bet you will start seeing a significant of people that'd normally go for the ccie reverting to the JNCIE.

CCIE data center is going to cost 1mil to replicate. Cisco has lost perspective in their training
programs as well as their products.

Anonymous said...

32in the existance of cheapest rack rental we believe we should not look for other alternatives. GNS is best for warm up with IOs then that Rack with XR device is perfect .
http://ccieonlinerack.com/realspworkbook.html

Eric.

Anonymous said...

Your Amazing, I want to be you. your so cool.