Saturday, December 06, 2008

I Don't Want To See My Future

I believe I can see the future, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails said. Not because he is a psychic or something, but 'cause I repeat the same routine'. I think I used to have a purpose. But then again, that might have been a dream.

When we are trapped in the same routine everyday, we get bored. We are bored because we know how this will end. Looking at the future is just like looking at the mirror. Everything keeps get repeated and no changes.

Even for someone who travel 80% to do work can still feel bored. Because everything is becoming the same routine. Project, meeting over web, fly to the destination country, lead a workshop, do presentation in front of the customer, make documentation, conference call, replying emails, testing in the lab, onsite implementation, project hand over, move on to the next country.

For those who have not done this before may find it looks compelling and challenging. But for those who always live with that, different projects, customers even new countries can form the same pattern. Repetitive tasks, that can bring boredom. First it requires skills that we need to learn, but eventually it has become second nature.

That's the reason I like to break the rules. Do the unexpected.
I don't want to use the provided template or follow a defined business flow. I always make my own template.

The purpose is to kill the boredom. To escape the pattern.

What have you done lately to break your routine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to Nepal for 5 weeks and did some trekking in mountains. Wonderful experience which breaks any routine.

You just must go on your own and forget about all-inclusive tourist packs. :)